Boy, two, slips into a coma after catching potentially deadly Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a TICK bite
- Kayla Oblisk, from Kentucky, rushed son Jackson to Norton Children’s Hospital
- Infant was diagnosed with rare yet deadly disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Jackson ran a fever of 105 degrees and had light pink spots all over his body
A two-year-old was left fighting for his life after contracting a deadly disease and falling into a coma from a tick bite.
Mother Kayla Oblisk, from Kentucky, was left fearing for the worst when her son Jackson began running a fever of 105 degrees and had to be rushed to Norton Children’s Hospital.
After closer inspection by doctors the infant was diagnosed with the rare yet deadly disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever and entered a coma for nearly a week before waking up on birthday.
Kayla Oblisk’s son Jackson began running a fever of 105 degrees and had to be rushed to Norton Children’s Hospital in Kentucky. He was diagnosed with Rocky Mountain spotted fever
The infant (pictured with mother Kayla Oblisk) entered a coma for nearly a week before waking up on birthday last Friday
As the fever began to take over, Ms Oblisk began to notice light pink spots across Jackson’s body and saw that he was unable to move, eat or drink.
The mother told Good Morning America: ‘We couldn’t get him to do anything, when you touched him he screamed. ‘
The infant finally woke up last Friday- the day of his second birthday.
Jackson began to run a fever and light pink spots began to appear on his body
Ms Oblisk said: ‘I had learned that you usually see death on day eight as that’s when organs start to fail and when we got to the hospital it was day seven.’
She added: ‘I didn’t know if I was ever going to see my kid’s face again but he had woken up.’
A GoFundMe page has now been set up by friends of Ms Oblisk’s in an effort to help pay for the infant’s medical bills which currently stand at more than $12,500.
A message on the page reads: ‘He is the smartest and sweetest boy, and loves the greatest showman. He started potty training himself 3 months ago and sings and dances as he cleans up his toys and laundry.
‘Since Sunday at 1pm he’s barely been awake longer than 20 minutes unless he’s screaming from the pain. He also hasn’t eaten since Sunday morning.’
Ms Oblisk also posts regular updates of her son’s treatment on her Facebook page.
Ms Oblisk, who posts regular updates on her son’s treatment, told Good Morning America: ‘We couldn’t get him to do anything, when you touched him he screamed’
Jackson is now on the mend and funds are being raised on a GoFundMe page to help the family pay for his medical bills
A recent post on Ms Oblisk’s page reads: ‘So today we not as good as we hoped. He was put back on IV antibiotics and spiked another fever.
‘The IV antibiotics seem to burn though because he cried the entire time they were going into the IV.
‘He has been able to eat some pizza and a few bites of chicken. He also hasn’t been drinking enough. We are talking about the possibility of needing rehab after all of this us over.’
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the bacterial disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) is spread through the bite of an infected tick and can be deadly if not treated promptly with the antibiotic doxycycline.
Symptoms of the disease can include: Headache, fever, nausea, rash, lack of appetite, vomiting, stomach pain and muscle pain.
While there is not yet a vaccine for the disease, experts say people can minimize their chances of catching the disease by checking their clothing for ticks, showering soon after being outdoors and checking their body for ticks after being outdoors.
Tick bite leaves action man, 46, feeling as ‘weak as kitten’ after giving him Lyme disease
Lee Farmer, 46, pictured on one his adventures, is a victim of Lyme disease, which can lead to crippling illness and even death
An action man who has climbed Mount Everest and braved some of the world’s most venomous jungle snakes and tarantula spiders has been floored by a ‘killer’ bug the size of a sesame seed a short walk from his country home.
The summer’s heatwave is feared to have sparked a plague of disease-carrying ticks which lurk in the undergrowth and bite into the skin of humans walking past.
Lee Farmer, 46, from Hampshire, is one of the latest victims of Lyme disease, which the tiny insects carry and can lead to crippling illness and even death.
Former England rugby international Matt Dawson needed heart surgery after he was bitten by a tick in a London park in 2015 and Lyme disease spread through his body.
Mountaineer Mr Farmer, of Woolton Hill, told today how, just like Dawson, he became ‘weak as kitten’ for weeks after he contracted the disease recently.
Mr Farmer, a professional outdoor instructor, is still recovering after he was bitten by a tick while walking on the North Wessex Downs near his home in June.
The insects thrive in hot, dry weather so this summer has been ideal – and health experts are warning parents not to let children play near patches of bracken, one of the bug’s favourite hidey-holes.
Ticks also attach themselves to sheep and deer, and are liable to turn up anywhere in the countryside if conditions are right.
When they bite into human skin they leave a tell-tale rash which is shaped like a small bullseye and it rapidly spreads the potentially deadly bacteria through the body.
Mr Farmer said: ‘It’s ironic that I’ve gone from feeling strong as an ox in May and was leading a team of mountaineers to the summit of Island Peak in the Nepalese Himalayas, then, by the end of June, as weak as a kitten after being bitten by a tick on my thigh.
‘Now, I’m slowly on the road to recovery thanks to my GP being aware of the disease and the prompt appropriate treatment given to me.
‘I had the classic bullseye rash that kept growing for about two weeks and it didn’t stop spreading until it reached about 14 inches on my lower torso and thigh.
‘I didn’t realise it was infected until my kidneys and muscles starting really hurting and I was feeling ill generally.
‘That was the prompt to go to the local GP surgery, where I was immediately diagnosed with Lyme disease and put on a long course of high-strength antibiotics.’
He said ticks will flourish in the heatwave and he’s urging people to look out for them.
Typical symptoms of Lyme disease are the fast-spreading bullseye rash, headaches, a stiff neck, extreme fatigue, muscle and joint pain and super-sensitivity to light and sound.